I made this wig a few weeks ago.

I’m SUPER proud of it! There are a couple more things I can do to it, and I will at some point. 

I wanted to make a totally unique headpiece to go with this costume I made:

Cool, huh? It’s not for everybody, but those who “get it” will appreciate it. 

It was the largest, most difficult project I’ve ever undertaken. 
So, for some info on how I constructed the wig. I wanted a bouffant type upper, and struggled with figuring out how to do that without using pounds of yarn. What I came up with: 

Two beanies. Large one on the bottom and smaller on top. Next time I’ll try reversing this, but it worked okay. 

Then, sew them together like you would a pillow, leaving a lip of the larger one on the bottom:

Now, stuff the front with poly fill. 

Sew your pocket closed

Arrange your filling where you want the hair to be its fullest. I wanted the front. 

Next, I used a washable marker to mark where I wanted the hair to part. 

Then it was only a matter of sewing in te creases like you would with a stuffed animal. 

When I had the shape I wanted, I began adding hair. That was an insane process that took a full day. Instead of braiding the ends, I would pull them through at he opposite end and chain them. I incorporated the chains throughout te hair do. Then I added some flowers to cover up a part I didn’t feel like adding more hair to. :) Cheat. 

The final product is pretty impressive. 

I have a crochet tophat pattern (pictured above) in my Ravelry store. It’s my idea of a perfect crochet top hat since all edges are defined and sharp, not rounded and sloppy. 

I also made a HUGE mess. 

If you try it, let me know how it goes! It’s not for the faint of heart!! 

Print Friendly
facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail